I spent the day playing around with Google Plus and came away with two take-a-ways… It’s new and it’s cool. The only criticism I have so far of G+ is that it does not yet have a public developer’s API such as FB and Twitter have. As a software developer, it has always been for me "if I can’t program it, I don’t want it." Please Google publish the G+ API soon; otherwise you can’t compete with FB.
Why did Google wait so long to introduce this FB competitor? My theory is that Google could have introduced Google+ a couple of years ago, but held out for a time as the novelty of Facebook has waned. No sense competing right out of the gate, but rather wait for that first horse to get a little winded and overly confident. Kind of like the tortoise and the hare…
For years now people have told me how FireFox is oh-so-much better than Internet Explorer (IE), but so far I have refused to use FireFox because I hated the way that FireFox renders fonts.
I have learned the reason why FireFox renders fonts in such a sickly thin format. Because FireFox is a cross-platform browser, it does not do some of the things that IE, a Windows-only browser, does. IE uses clear-type fonts to render and display fonts; FireFox does not.
The simple fix is to turn on clear type fonts. Several places described going to Appearance and Themes in the Control Panel and under the Appearance tab to select the Effects button then turn on Clear Type fonts, but on my XP pro I didn’t have that option.
What I found was an XP Power Toy at Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP called ClearType Tuner. This is a control panel applet that allows you use ClearType technology to make it easier to read text on your screen, and installs in the Control Panel for easy access. It has a wizard interface where you can turn on Clear Type fonts and select and preview how the fonts will appear. Once Clear Type fonts are turned on, Fire Fox fonts will be much easier on the eyes.
Someday I may make FireFox my default browser… 47% of browser users can’t be all wrong.
Imagine a scenario where someone is restoring an old house, refurbishing several rooms within the house, and generally giving the whole building a makeover. After days and days of hard work the laborious effort is finally completed. There is only one thing left to do – demolish the old and rickety front porch and remodel the front entrance to the house.
But something goes terribly awry. Instead of only demolishing the old front porch, somehow, by some unfortunate accident the entire house is destroyed in manner of seconds.
Well, something similar to that scenario recently happened to this web site…
The web site previously consisted of four parts – the front-end, which was powered by a CMS called Mambo; the static content (data) section built and designed by John Cardinal’s Second Site; this Word Press blog, and forum powered by SMF. But I wanted to change things. I no longer wanted to use Mambo as the front-end to to website. I wanted to put the static content up front (like it had been a couple of years ago). The Word Press blog and SMF forum had only been added as recent as a few month ago and I found that the blog was serving the same purpose as the Mambo CMS. Plus the Word Press blog was easier to work with because I could use Windows Live Writer to add to and update the blog directly from my PC without having to log into the Mambo CMS admin panel.